Friday, October 31, 2008
So, if you know me.. at all... you know that Blitzkid is my favorite band. It's been that way for about 7 years now. Next Weekend (Nov. 8) will mark the 17th time I've seen them live. I've traveled well over 1000 miles... probably more like 1500+ to see them all over the Northeast and South US. So when they release a new album...
I kinda get a little wild about getting my hands on it. Since it's release on Oct. 17th, I've scoured the Internet looking for someone who has uploaded it somewhere. I certainly don't condone downloading their music as apposed to buying it, but their stuff gets released in Europe like a month before it hits the US. Ask the guys in the band, they know I'm good for a purchase when it's available.
I found it tonight. I was helping a friend work on a school project tonight, and in between typing sessions, I decided to go on my daily Anatomy of Reanimation hunt, and lo and behold, I found it! Thankfully, I was running Firefox off of my USB drive, so I could download it and not have to try and remember the search terms and the address. I flew home, sent the link to Josh, and settled down to indulge.
The last album, Five Cellars Below , had me hiding in the employee bathroom at work with earphones just to listen. How does this one fair?
It's kinda.. odd. Haha. Don't get me wrong, it's good. It's just strange to hear these songs redone. Some stuff, like the false-finish on Dying Day and the growling on Nosferatu have become staples of their live show. but some stuff is totally new and foreign. Bad? Nah. Just new. So, as my first official Top Ten blog, I figured I'd post my feelings on this album.
Top Ten Moments off of Anatomy of Reanimation, Vol. 1
10. Hellraiser. The harmonies, man. This song has always been fucking awesome, but this version just takes it and knocks it out of the park. "Whoa, oh, oh oh ohhhh."
9. She-Wolf. The new little intro made me laugh out loud. I had to rewind just to see if it was for real.
8. Let's go to the Cemetery. This version just gives you an idea of what it's like to see Blitzkid in a packed club with everyone screaming "Let's Go!"
7. Dying Day. Finally, now the whole crowd knows that the damn song isn't over yet! And it's fucking fast, too!
6. Nosferatu. Finally, now the Blitzkid fans who haven't seen them live has an idea of the chaos that this song can bring.
5. These Walls See, "Hellraiser".
4. Return to the Living. That piano.. wasn't expecting it, but since this is one of my top 3 favorite Blitzkid songs (Wretched and Five Cellars Below are the other 2) it's kinda hard to mess it up in my mind. They took a beautiful song and made it beautiful-er.
3. She Dominates. I saw a video taken from the "Hell Nights" tour just 4 days ago, and it was Blitzkid playing this song. Again with the new harmonies! This is the one song that you will always hear called out at a Blitzkid show. Well, this and Pretty in a Casket.
2. Love Like Blood. The best sing along song ever just got better.
1. My Dying Bride. This was the first Blitzkid song I ever heard. I listened to this song and the OG version back-to-back. It sounds like a totally different song. A totally different, properly recorded, faster, better song.
So there you have it. My Top Ten favorite tracks off of Blitzkid - Anatomy of Reanimation, Vol. 1.
I'm off to go load up my MP3 player for a bathroom visit tomorrow.